What Do You Need To Do Before Scrapping Your Car?

Log Book Form

Before handing over your vehicle to be scrapped, make sure your pass on your vehicle log book (V5C) form and keep the yellow slip (V5C/3) from it. You want the scrap yard/ business to fill in their details on the form.

This is so you can inform the DVLA that you’ve put your vehicle into be scrapped. If you don’t inform the DVLA that you’ve scrapped your vehicle, it could result in a £1000 fine. You can send the slip in via post or using their web tool.

If you don’t have a log book form, you have to write to DLVA and request one.  You’ll need the registration number and the make and model of the car so make sure you know the specifics of these.

Registration Number Plate

If you would like to retain the registration from the car and transfer it to another car you first must apply to the DVLA to make sure you’re eligible.  The registration is kept under the name of the registered keeper of the car and you’ll need to remove it before scrapping the car.

You can apply online to have your registration number removed, it costs £80. To have your registration number removed you will need the 11 digit document reference number from the V5C form mentioned previously and a valid credit or debit card.

Keeping Car Parts

If you wish to keep parts of your car so that you can use them to repair another vehicle you must tell DVLA that it is off the road whilst you are taking these parts. It must be kept off road, in a garage or on private land.

Some scrapping companies may charge a fee if you’ve already taken parts from your vehicle so keep this in mind before making your decision.

Must-See Cars of All Times